We are all aflutter over here with excitement for the 5th annual 4 Day KAL with Olive Knits!
We have participated every year since that very first - making Stillwater, Beekeeper, Foxtrot, and Soundtrack (twice!). With so many successfuly 4-day sweaters, it's no wonder we are on all pins & needles to do #5, which carries the exciting name of: Fireworks!
While the sweater details (like style, stitch pattern, etc) are still under wraps, today is the day we can talk about (maybe) the most important part:
Today Marie announced that the yarn for this year's 4 Day KAL is a DK weight tweed, which makes our yarny-little-hearts sing because we have not one but TWO great options in that category.
The Farmer's Daughter Fibers Craggy Tweed. This tweed is hand-dyed, lending a richness and depth to the finished yarn that knits into gorgeous fabric. We have 10 colors stocked up and ready.
We love TFD Craggy Tweed, but we also know that not everyone's budget has room for $30/skein yarn, and that is why we carry Universal Yarns Deluxe Superwash Tweed DK. This is actually the yarn I am using for my 4 Day sweater, and the minute I can show you, I will! (No spoilers until June.) Rest assured, this yarn has pleasantly surprised me at every turn and I am thoroughly enjoying it (and it costs $12/skein).
Here are some more fun hints from Olive Knits:
- It’s a yoke-style pullover
- It’s one single color
- DK weight tonals, solid colors, tweeds, and kettle-dyed yarns are recommended. Less color variation is better.
- You can pre-order the pattern beginning June 3
- There are NO photo sneak peeks until June 7th
- The skill level is intermediate, but if you’re a confident advanced beginner, you can do this
- You DO NOT have to knit the sweater in 4 days – we knit together the whole month of July, so you can work at your own pace.
And, here's the knitty gritty:
- Gauge — 20 st and 28 rounds/rows in 4 in/10 cm in stockinette stitch, blocked (Pattern includes an alternate gauge option of 22 st and 30 rounds/rows in 4 in/10 cm to expand size and yarn options)
- Sizes- 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
- Finished Bust/Chest Circumference: 33.9 (36.75, 43.2, 46, 48.5, 53, 56.75, 60.75, 64.75) in/84 (93.5, 108, 115, 123, 134.5, 144, 154.5, 164.5) cm
- Lower Body Length: 10 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14, 15, 15) in
- Yardage — 1010 (1182, 1335, 1485, 1597, 1688, 1784, 1886, 1994) yards/923 (1080, 1220, 1357, 1460, 1543, 1631, 1724, 1823) meters
- The Farmers' Daughter Craggy Tweed: 5 (6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9) skeins
- Universal Deluxe Tweed DK: 4 (5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7) skeins
- Needles — US Size 6/4mm (24-32 in/60-80 cm) circular – body; US Size 6/4mm (12 in/30 cm) circular or DPNs – sleeves: US Size 4/3.5mm (16 in/40 cm) circular – neckline; US Size 4/3.5mm (12 in/30 cm) circular or DPNs – cuffs. (Note: Adjust your needle size, if necessary, to obtain correct gauge.)
- Fit Advice — This sweater is meant to fit with about 2 inches/5 cm positive ease. For best results, choose the size with a finished measurement that is 2 inches/5 cm larger than your full bust measurement.
I'm in! What do I do now?
You can shop for yarn! And on beginning on May 28 you can pre-order your pattern at oliveknits.com or on Ravelry. If you have any other questions, just send them our way and we are happy to help!
Please sign me up for the fireworks techniques with 2 colors! Thx
Knot Another Hat replied:
You can signup to participate and receive the Resources emails here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTza9QoQrO8DlTHmDce39sYR5zb1vQj4-1_RT1Jkfw50hykw/viewform <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTza9QoQrO8DlTHmDce39sYR5zb1vQj4-1_RT1Jkfw50hykw/viewform>
Customer Service Knot Another Hat 11 Third St #103 Hood River, OR 97031 541.308.0008 knotanotherhat.com
How do I know if I am advanced enough to do this?
The universal yarn is in my budget, but it appears to be lighter than TFD. Are you using size 6 needles? Are you getting 20sts/4” or 22sts/4”? How’s the drape of the fabric? Thanks 😘